IRC -2006- R602.8 Fireblocking
required. Fireblocking shall be provided to cut off all concealed draft openings
(both vertical and horizontal) and to form an effective fire barrier between
stories, and between a top story and the roof space. Fireblocking shall be
provided inwood-frame construction in the following locations.
concealed spaces of stud walls and partitions, including furred spaces and
parallel rows of studs or staggered studs; as follows:
1.1. Vertically at the
ceiling and floor levels.
1.2. Horizontally at intervals not exceeding 10
feet (3048 mm).
2. At all interconnections between concealed vertical and
horizontal spaces such as occur at soffits, drop ceilings and cove
3. In concealed spaces between stair stringers at the top and
bottom of the run. Enclosed spaces under stairs shall comply with Section
4. At openings around vents, pipes, ducts, cables and wires at
ceiling and floor level, with an approved material to resist the free passage of
flame and products of combustion.
5. For the fireblocking of chimneys and
fireplaces, see Section R1003.19.
6. Fireblocking of cornices of a two-family
dwelling is required at the line of dwelling unit separation.